Wednesday, February 2, 2011

College Drop-out.

Today I tried to explain the concept of professional burnout to an eight year old. I told her that sometimes when you do something for a really long time and you work really hard at it, you get tired. I was a professional student until two and a half weeks ago. I dropped out. I'm a college drop-out.

I don't actually mean this. I graduated in April with three degrees for goodness sake. But the only thing I've ever built myself to do, my heart, mind and body all got together and told me I had to stop doing.

So what do you do? This is my new experience and my fresh start. I have no responsibility in any area of my life. I haven't gotten a job yet, but I can guarantee it won't consume me like school did. I've never not been a student. But I like it; so far anyway. Part of me hopes I'll hate it so I can go back and do what I've been working to do. But the rest of me hopes I love it so I can enjoy my time off with as much of me as I can.

So wish me luck friends.

No comments: